Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I Think Of: Red Zone Cuba (1966)

Now, if you're an avid listener of the Cinema Cafe Podcast, you know that both myself and Josh think that Manos: The Hands of Fate, is the worst movie ever made, which it is. However, if I had to pick a second worst film ever made, it would probably be Red Zone Cuba, also know as Night Train to Mundo Fine. Sorry Wild Wild World of Batwoman, but this film would be my Number 2. To say this movie is bad is a gross, GROSS understatement. I'm watched practically all of the MST3K gems, but this one holds a candle. Essentially, this escaped convict and his ex-con buddies are on the run and decide to enlist in the military to take part in the 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion for cash. I don't want to spoil the rest for you, not to mention the fact that it doesn't matter since the movie makes no sense whatsoever. In terms of continuity, time, and editing, this is simple one of the worst things I've ever seen. Granted, I'm not saying you have to show a long plane scene flying to and from Cuba, but there are scenes where it literally jumps from Cuba back to the US, with no take off or landing or anything. If you watch it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Now, this sparkling gem of a film is written, directed, and produced by Coleman Francis, who also stars in the movie. Obviously, just writing, directing, and producing wasn't enough for him. Just to give you an example of how bad he is as a writer, director, and producer, Coleman Francis has two other films, The Skydivers & The Beast Of Yucca Flats, that have also been shown on MST3K. Not one, not two, but THREE films shown on a TV show dedicated to showing you the worst of the worst, which this film clearly is. Seriously, it's hard to even recommend this movie for people who like to torture their brain, as I obviously love doing. This movie is beyond painful. Only watch at your own risk.

No comments: