Saturday, July 18, 2009

What I Think Of: Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007)

Yesterday was my father's birthday, so he wanted to watch his favorite movie of all time, the Sci-Fi cult classic movie Blade Runner which is based on the Philip K. Dick story, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. In this movie, Harrison Ford plays Rick Deckard, a "Blade Runner" who has to track down 4 "Replicants" in the city of Los Angeles in the year 2019. Due to it being my dad's favorite movie, I own 2 DVD copies of the movie, as well as the Blu-Ray disc which I bought for him when we got our Blu-Ray player. The one thing that was weird with the Blu-Ray disc of the Final Cut was that it didn't look as good as the Director's Cut disc that came in the package...so we watched the movie twice. There is little to no difference between the Final Cut & the Director's Cut, except that the director, Ridley Scott, had more control over it. Personally, I think the Director's Cut/Final Cut is a much better movie than the original release of the film, as it has no Voice Over by Ford, as well as a different and better ending. Needless to say, there's a reason it's my father's favorite movie of all time, cause it really is a timeless masterpiece. It essentially started "Cyberpunk" and is still regarded as one of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time, if not the best. It has such a unique and fantastic soundtrack, composed by Vangelis, which fits the Noir aspect of the movie very well. I highly recommend this movie to any Sci-Fi or movie fan in general. I probably can't praise this movie enough, so check it out.

-Greg

No comments: