Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Movie Releases for the Weekend of 7.24.09

1) G-Force

- a specially trained squad of guinea pigs is dispatched to stop a diabolical billionaire from taking over the world. Yes you heard me right and no this isn’t animated. I think this movie is going to be big with kids, but yeah, the trailers just don’t do it for me. I mean I love dogs more than humans and even I can’t stand the Air Bud movies so the idea of watching 90 minutes of 3D guinea pig action, well, I’d rather go to a pet shop and watch actual guinea pigs play.







2) The Ugly Truth

- I like chick flicks and this looks like pain. This one’s about a macho tv show correspondent played by Gerard Butler who makes a bet with his love-challenged producer played by Katherine Heigel. He’ll help her find a man and if not, he’ll quit the business. However, as the two get closer, will love be nothing more than a natural truth? My money is on that they become good friends, join a bookclub and in two months realize they hate each other causing Heigel to murder Butler in his sleep. But yeah, they don’t come more generic and formulaic than this movie.







3) Orphan

- frankly I think this may quite possibly be the worst title ever for a movie. Basically this one’s about a kid who gets adopted, but once home causes mischief, death and mayhem and maybe that’s why her original parents left her. Frankly this is a psa ad for not adopting children. My favorite line from the trailer: "It must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own." Way to be all sensitive Warner Brothers. Truthfully this is most likely a ghost/demonic type of movie with scary kids. I cannot wait until this scary kids are demons in horror movies movement is over.







4) The Answer Man

- a reclusive author of a well-known spiritual guidance book falls for a sensible chiropractor and learns some important life lessons as he begins to face the public and his past. I have no idea if this is supposed to be any good, but audiences seemed to love it when it premiered at Sundance. Starring Jeff Daniels and Lauren Graham, check this out in limited release.








5) In The Loop

- a comedy centered on an English government representative who accidently backs the idea of a U.S. led war in the Middle East, and the subsequent fallout on both sides of the Atlantic. This one has been doing pretty well on the festival circuit so anyone who likes political war satires might enjoy this one, especially those that didn’t like the recent State of Play movie, which I still enjoyed.

No comments: