Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What I Think Of: X-Men (2000)

With the upcoming Watchmen: Directors Cut DVD/Blu-Ray coming out shortly, I decided to take a look back at the comic book movie that essentially started it all. Some will say that the first Blade movie started the comic book movie fad, but I believe that if it weren't for the popularity of this movie, we might not have some of the great...and terrible comic book movies of today. Released in 2000, under the directorial helm of Bryan Singer, I wanted to see if the first X-Men still held up after 9 years. Thankfully, it does indeed. X-Men focuses on the story & character development, more than the special effects, and has such terrific casting as Patrick "I was born to play Professor X" Stewart as Professor X, Ian McKellan as Magneto, and Hugh Jackman who gives a great performance in his breakout role as Wolverine. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the soundtrack, as it really doesn't go anywhere at all. I guess it would've been too much to ask for them to use the 90's X-Men Cartoon theme for the movie. Needless to say, 9 years later, X-Men is still up there with Marvel's best comic book movies and is still recommended for movie fans & comic book fans alike. Especially if you want to know what happens to a Toad that gets struck by lightning.

-Greg

No comments: