Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I Think of: Shutter Island (2010)


This 2010 psychological thriller directed by Martin Scorsese (Score-sez-e) stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy Daniels, Mark Ruffalo as Chuck Aule, and Ben Kingsley as Dr. John Cawley. The film is based on the 2003 novel by Dennis Lehane of the same name. I haven't read the book but Joshua has and he says the movie is a true adaptation of the book (for the most part). Teddy and Chuck are detectives who are sent to an asylum for the criminally insane in Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando (played by Emily Mortimer). Teddy also has an ulterior motive while at the asylum; he is looking for the man responsible for the death of his wife. Long story short, there's a lot of twists and turns and you don't know who to trust or believe and then BOOM, there it is, everything is unraveled and all the things you thought didn't make sense do.

Though I usually tend to stay away from psychological thrillers because I hate losing sleep, this was done so well and it felt so satisfying at the end. And best of all, it wasn't too scary. It was mildly scary for a chicken like me but for normal folks, it'll be fine. Great performances by all, though I still cannot stand DiCaprio's awful Bostonian accent. I think he just needs to hang it up and retire it.

Enjoy the trailer:

No comments: