Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fashion/Film: The Day after the Oscars

Here are some of my favorite looks from last night's Academy Awards:


Vera Farmiga in Marchesa; Miley Cyrus in Jenny Packham

Anyone who knows me, knows I love ruffles (right now) and though it seems a bit much at first glance, it somehow works for Farmiga. Now as for Cyrus, I've been hearing mixed reviews and I'll just put it out there, I really liked the dress choice. Seems a bit mature for her age and I wish the bodice/corset was pulled up a bit. Perhaps her posture o a necklace may have helped but regardless, the dress is beautiful.


Sandra Bullock in Marchesa; Meryl Streep in white Chris March; Kate Winslet in YSL

Big night for Bullock, super congrats on the Academy awards (and the Razzy's the night before). I didn't know this but the bottom half of Bullock's dress is crushed velvet. Really? Wow, just amazing. I'm not huge on velvet but boy did it look great on Bullock. And the red lips were perfect. Streep looked great, I know the dress is a bit of an understatement but it fits who she is and I hate to say it's "age appropriate" but it really is just right for her. And Chris March of all people designed this dress. You remember him, Project Runway, season 4, big guy into drag wear? Yes him, amazing. I fell in love with Winslet last year and she still gets to me this year. Like fine wine, she just gets better with age.


Lastly, probably the biggest winner of the night, Kathryn Bigelow. First female director to win an Academy Award. Women everywhere should be proud. She looked stunning in her dress (and for the life of me I can't find the designer and it's late so I gave up searching). Her body is woah and how refreshing to see a beautiful director (can't say there's many lookers behind the camera...just saying). But putting looks and vanity aside, Bigelow created a fantastic movie that I recommend. She brought to life a topic that not many people know about and for a movie that could have been very dry, she knew how to keep our interest and made people really wait at the edge of their seats for what's next. That's not something any director can do. I am so excited for her as a woman and as a movie fan.

Today, I really wanted to concentrate on the good but if you really want to know what I thought about the bad, let's just say Charlize Theron and Hilary Swank and leave it at that.

-Penny

No comments: