Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Leftovers - The Oscar's (or How I learned to sleep with my eyes open)


I've spoken many times of my dislike for the Oscars. I see them as a sort of necessity (to shine a light on the public, films they may not have seen but should have seen), but I've never liked the idea of the rich getting richer, the famous pumping themselves up even more on a national stage. Still, for the past 2 years since we've started doing this podcast, we've held an Oscar party, and kudos to our friends who show up every year, kudos to their friendship and commitment because god knows the Oscars are damn boring to watch, last way too long and well, there are bouts where I just want to turn off the tv, kick everyone out and go to sleep. Here are some of my thoughts on the 82nd Annual Academy Awards Show:

  • My god, the Oscar's didn't end until 12:30AM EST, and then when the final category, Best Picture was announced, the show quickly went to credits and I was stuck going, my god, so I watched every actor parade onto the stage to talk about another actor nominated for the last hour and then when the big award comes they're like "oh we're out of time, goodnight everyone." I'm glad it ended, I've never been so glad something ended in my life, like watching your life flash before your eyes in a car crash, but it all just seemed like one big tease.
  • What's up with the In Memorium not recognizing the death of the beautiful Farrah Fawcett? I've read an interview with someone from the Academy who basically said that they left Fawcett off on purpose because she didn't really do much in the way of films. But then they honor Michael Jackson? Listen I love Michael Jackson and his videos are little short-films, but to put him on and not Fawcett (who died on the same day), to recognize his contribution to films and not the beautiful lady who wore a tank top the entire time in Cannonball. Bah.
  • I just find it odd that many critics talked before the show about how The Fantastic Mr. Fox might end as the dark horse for the Best Animated category and win it. This just never made sense to me. If the film somehow beat Up for Best Animated Film, then it wouldn't make sense how Up could be in the Best Film category. Since Up was nominated as the only animation for Best Film, then it was basically a give away which film would win the Best Animated Film, which I find quite boring. We all know Pixar makes the best animated films each year and the only reason the Academy created a Best Animated Film category was so it didn't have to nominate a "cartoon" for Best Picture. Now that they've gone to 10 nominees, either you can't nominate a film for Best Animated if it's also nominated for Best Picture, or you nominate more than one animation for that category. Anything less makes it a waste of time for everyone.
  • On that note, the Best Animated category should be used to bring to light small animated films like The Secret of Kells and other films like it that no one knows about besides the people who watch films for a living. It should be used as a spotlight for the lesser known's rather than Up (which was the best animated film of the year) which everyone has seen.
  • Seriously, this years Oscars was one of the most boring shows I can ever remember watching. While the opening dance number by NPH was entertaining and the opening monologue (or is dualogue?) of Steve Martin and Alex Baldwin was hilarious, everything else fell flat. Like the safe Avatar skit by Ben Stiller to the boring presenter readings, this years Oscars was just a true crap-fest. Even Lady Kanye's outbursts was more odd then entertaining.
  • Avatar gets shut out? Very surprising. I do agree with what many people say. Remember How Green Was My Valley? Most people have not even heard of that film, but it was that film that beat out Citizen Kane for the Best Film Oscar in 1941. Now I'm not saying that Avatar is up to the quality of Kane but what I am saying is that for the importance of films for generations to come, everyone will remember Avatar and how it changed films, and I have to wonder in 10 years will most people even remember The Hurt Locker besides it being a foot-note in film trivia knowledge.
  • And lastly, how great was the John Hughes remembrance? How great was it to see the whole Breakfast Club back on stage? God I teared up. It was just fantastic seeing the whole cast back sans Emilio Estevez who I guess was too cool for Hughes. But yeah a fantastic walk through memory lane with a wonderful montage of all of Hughes great films. For me, one of the greatest moments in Oscar history. But yeah, does anyone else think a grown up Judd Nelson looks like a serial killer/Vegas lounge singer/ restaurant magician?

No comments: