Thursday, August 20, 2009

What I Think Of: Deep Blue Sea (1999)

Continuing with my aquatic reviewing adventure, lets turn back the clock a decade to this gem of a movie, Deep Blue Sea. Now, before I describe what the movie is about, which should be obvious from the poster, I want you to take a look at the list of films the director, Renny Harlin, has directed. Just some of those gems should give you an idea of what kind of films this man directs, and still continues to direct, like with 12 Rounds. What amazes me is that I've seen most of his 90's flicks and almost none of his gems for the new millennium. Shame on me, as except for Cliffhanger...maybe, I'm probably a shameful, closet fan of his action movies. Cutthroat Island might be up there on the Cliffhanger list, but I haven't seen it in so long to be sure. I'll probably rectify that soon enough. However, Deep Blue Sea I was definitely a fan of, for it's sheer, sheer absurdity.

Mind you, I am a fan of this movie, but it's not very good. It doesn't matter though, as it's your basic summer blockbuster, Jaws wannabe, and it has one of the best scenes with Samuel L. Jackson in it. The scene was so great, Dave Chappelle even mentioned it during his Samuel Jackson beer commercial. This movie also stars Thomas "I wish Travolta wasn't my Punisher villain" Jane as your typical movie "insert here" expert. Regardless, Saffron Burrows character, Dr. Susan McCallister, is making bigger, smarter, faster, meaner sharks in order to cure Alzheimer's Disease. Naturally something goes wrong, the sharks are loose, and the team must escape before they are killed in hilarious, summer blockbuster ways.

Okay, perhaps I was a little hasty in saying this movie is a Jaws wannabe, because Jaws was more of a horror/thriller, whereas Deep Blue Sea is more of an action flick, just with sharks. These are some impressive sharks too, as they learn how to plot, plan, and even swim backwards to charge up their attack. Deep Blues Sea is ripe with cliché and even makes fun of it with LL Cool J's character. What makes me like this movie is that it really doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is or what you expect. I went into the theater with little expectations, expecting sharks killing humans in hilarious ways, and that's precisely what I got. To me, that is an enjoyable movie experience. Now, I have to go back and watch Cliffhanger, Cutthroat Island, and his newer films to see if I enjoy them like I did Deep Blue Sea. Although, from what Josh has described of 12 Rounds, perhaps I'll skip that one.

-Greg

No comments: