Saturday, February 13, 2010

What I Think of: The Brothers Bloom (2009)

This 2009 caper film directed by Rian Johnson of Brick fame stars Mark Ruffalo, Adrian Brody, Rachel Weisz, and Rinko Kikuchi. Stephen (Ruffalo) and Bloom (Brody) are con men brothers who go through life conning their way into people's lives and somehow leaves both the victims and the con men themselves satisfied after each con.

The pair later is joined by a near silent sidekick in Bang Bang (Kikuchi). The big con that this film focuses on is of a recluse socialite from New Jersey--Penelope Stamp (Weisz). This quirky character jumps right into this whirlwind con and ends up traveling the world with the trio.

The story was quirky in a good way and kept my interest. I think what I really liked about the movie was the sense of not knowing what is real and what is part of the con. And you end up getting a clear answer each time, which is important to me :) but that momentary lapse of losing where you are and what is reality and what is not, is quite a whimsical feeling while watching the movie. I love the scenery and the costume--a mix of modern / contemporary motifs--traveling by boat and trains (vs. a plane) and yet using cell phones. It was a beautiful film, a feast for the eyes. But honestly, I can look at Adrian Brody all day long.

I can't say this is a great film but I quite enjoyed the ride and would recommend it for a DVD rental. Enjoy the trailer.



-Penny

No comments: