Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What I Think of: Adventureland (2009)

Adventureland is a 2009 melo-comedy (is that even a real word?) written and directed by Greg Mottola of Superbad fame. The movie stars Jesse Eisenberg as James Brennan and Kristen Stewart as Em Lewin. The basic premise is that Brennan recently graduated college and is looking forward to backpacking in Europe. His plans fell through and he's back home in Pittsburgh finding a summer job to save up money for grad school in New York. He ends up working at Adventureland, a local amusement park, and befriends the carnies, one in particular catches his fancy, Em. They go through this song and dance with young "complicated" love etc.

This movie received critical acclaim and I don't quite know why. Perhaps I can blame it on the cold I had when I watched it sick in bed but this movie was a bit too slow paced, predictable, and for the life of me, I can't see why it's called a comedy.

My main issue was that I didn't relate to Brennan/Eisenberg, he looked 1. too young to have just graduated college and 2. too awkward. He wasn't even awkward in that lovable way but awkward in the awkward way. And Em was basically an 80s version of Bella a la Twilight. Misunderstood loner. I may be jaded with all the teen movies but I think that's why these types of movies have to work that much harder to gain an audience. It could be just me since everyone loved this movie.

For now, enjoy the trailer.

-Penny

No comments: