Thursday, May 14, 2009

New Movie Releases for the Weekend of 5.15

1) Angels & Demons

- the prequel to the less than stellar 2006 film Da Vinci Code, this one see’s Tom Hanks without the mullet from the first film as Robert Langdon, a Harvard symbologist who must stop the Illuminati, a secret society, from destroying the Vatican. I’m not a conspiracy nut, but I like stories surrounding the hidden truths, fact or fiction, surrounding the world as we know it. Still, Da Vinci Code was pretty bad, but early reports say this is a huge step forward from that first abysmal film, and hey it’s got Richie Cunnigham as director, so shouldn’t be too bad...








2) The Brothers Bloom

- the sophomore effort from Brick director Rian Johnson, this one see’s Mark Ruffalo and Adrian Brody as two conmen brothers who see Rachel Weisz’s wealthy lady as their last big score. I’ve been waiting a long time to see this, especially since it’s been making the festival circuits since last year and everyone seemingly loves it. I love Brick, and I cannot wait to see this whimsical take on life and everything in between. Seriously Brick is awesome so this one should be just as good if not better.








3) Management

- now this is one I had never heard of until I had to do this list. This one stars Jennifer Aniston, a traveling saleswoman who tries to chase off a motel manager played by Steve Zahn who follows her cross country after an ill-advised fling. From what I can gather, this is an offbeat comedy with Aniston touched with an indie feel so could be good, and I like Steve Zahn so I’ll be checking this out sooner than later.









4) O’ Horten

- a drama surrounding the life changing event of a 67 year old train engineer named Odd Horten- the moment of his retirement. Now this is another one I has never heard about until I was doing this list and is one that’s getting a very limited release in NY and LA, however this is from the fantastic Norwegian director of Kitchen Stories, Bent Hamer, so this could be very good.

No comments: