Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Leftover - Work of Art: Artwork (2008)

Last night, I was in a mood to listen to some classic 80's melodic rock, and nothing says classic 80's melodic rock like the group Toto. While watching the video of Toto's Rosanna, a commenter on the video mentioned a group called Work Of Art, who released an album named Artwork last year. Always curious about new music, I decided to check it out. I gave the album a listen on YouTube, and needless to say, I was blown away. It's like someone in Sweden cloned Toto and let them loose on the public to wow crowds and nostalgic 80's music fans, like me. Like I said, they are a Swedish group, and they have said that they were highly influenced by 80's Rock. To quote their MySpace page influences, "Toto, Toto and Toto!! Well, ok, we also enjoy listening to following bands; Journey, Giant, Mr. Mister, Chicago, Maxus, Pages, Jeff Paris, Saga, Pride of Lions, Survivor, Vince Di Cola, Winger, Mr. Big, Tommy Denander, etc." The only way it could get better for Josh is if they said Wham!

If you were to play this album for someone, they'd definitely think that you were playing an 80's album, because it essentially is. The vocals, the sounds, the lyrics, and everything just scream cheesy 80's melodic rock. In my opinion, this is one of the best things to come out of Sweden since Let The Right One In. I've already bought the album, and if you like 80's melodic rock as much as I do, I highly recommend this to you as well. I'm only sad that I'm just hearing about this group now.

-Greg

1 comment:

Herman said...

Glad you like it! We are currently working on our second album, it will probably be released in spring 2010!
Be sure to check our myspace for details!
www.myspace.com/musicofworkofart

best regards

Herman, drummer of Work of Art