Thursday, June 11, 2009

What I Think Of: Speed Racer (2008)

It's gaudy, it's bawdy and almost everyone hates it. It's cheesy and kitschy as all hell. It's way to bright (my god the colors!!) and fruitier than a pink elephant- and I loved every minute of it. I really think the Wachowski brothers were onto something here- fantastic editing tricks and amazing CGI with built in car-fu action. While heavily flawed (I really wanted to punch the kid and the monkey in the face and sometimes the action was way to chaotic and seriously what was up with the story?), I honestly feel that in 10 years time this will be looked on as a bit of over-reaching genius. It's like you're having a stoke with all the colors. Everything about this film screams wrong, but every ounce of my heart screams unfetered brilliance.

No comments: