Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Movie Releases for the Weekend of 3.06.09

Watchmen

- if you’re one of the 10 people in the world that doesn’t know anything about this film, please, please watch the trailer online. This movie looks like an orgasm come to life for fanboys everywhere and I might go blind from the sheer awesomeness of this film. Then again, it may suck all kinds of pain, but early reviews say it’s a near 100% faithful adaptation of the groundbreaking graphic novel, so yeah I think it’s going to be good. I’m not kidding when I say I’m going into this film with high expectations. It’s my favorite comic book of all time, and I fully expect it to be the greatest film ever created. If not, then well, at least I can cry into the arms of Penny as I weep my decade long dream of seeing this as a film die in front of my eyes. This is a movie about superheroes where only one of them has special abilities. This is a movie about what if a group of superheroes really existed and how that existence would have changed history as we know it.




The Horseman

- this much delayed movie about a widowed detective (played by Dennis Quaid) who finds a connection between himself and a serial killing spree linked to the four horseman of the apocalypse finally see’s a limited release. Some are calling this a Seven retread and not in a good way. Others are calling it a mess. But I am curious in seeing it because it also stars Zhang Ziyi in a supposed very Audition kind of role. So yeah, color me interested.











Tokyo

- this anthology features 3 stories set in Tokyo directed by Michael Gondry, Leos Carax, and Joon-ho Bong. Most people who have seen this call it a complete bore, but I like 2 of the 3 filmmakers so I may check this one out.














12

- this movie about 12 jurors that must decide the fate of a Chechen youth for the murder of his stepfather is another example of why I have a problem with the Oscars and the foreign films they nominate because no one can see them unless they bootleg copies of the films. This film finally sees the light of day after coming out in 2007 and being nominated for Best Foreign Picture in early 2008. I haven’t seen this film but thankfully now, finally have the chance to see it in limited release.











Phoebe in Wonderland

- this Sundance Film Festival darling from last year is about a little girl (played by Dakota Fanning’s sister Elle Fanning) who struggles to conform to a seemingly rule-obsessed world and who seeks enlightenment from her unconventional drama teacher. This has gotten rave reviews so could be quite good.



No comments: