Friday, October 19, 2012

Fantastic Short Film Friday - As I Am (documentary)

















And we are back with another installment in our Fantastic Short Film Friday series, as we continue to showcase films released in the "lesser" known form of cinema- the short film.

It's time for another amazing short film for all you short film lovers out there. I love documentaries and I love character studies. No piece of fiction in my mind can ever capture the breathe and plight of humanity, of the very existence of man like a documentary can. The short I have for you this week is frankly one of the best I've ever seen in that regard. Here is the 13-minute short, As I Am from filmmaker Alan Spearman.

Here's the synopsis:

Chris Dean’s heart stopped when he was two.When Chris was five, his father was murdered, riddled by more than 20 bullets in a gang shootout.Chris is a poetic observer with much to say about life in South Memphis.

It's not often one can say something is extraordinary- something so breathtaking that it demands people to stand up and take notice. It also doesn't help that I'm a sucker for good poetry. However this is more slam than traditional which will make it far more enjoyable for those that dislike the poetic form if expression (which is probably 90% of the population).

Check this out if you want to see something special. Check this out if you want to see an amazing expression of self seen through the eyes of those living on the fringe of existence. Enjoy this weeks dose of short film goodness with, As I Am.

As I Am from alan spearman on Vimeo.

No comments: