Friday, April 27, 2012

Fantastic Short Film Friday - Each Moment is the Universe (live-action)

















And we are back with another installment in our Fantastic Short Film Friday series, as we continue to showcase films released in the "lesser" known form of cinema- the short film.

It's time for another amazing short film for all you short film lovers out there. There are some films that are just out there to entertain. I love those kinds of films. After a long hard day its nice to be able to sit down, unwind, fall in love and watch stuff blow up. On the flip side, there are some films that try to do more, that have a message, that try to entertain through thoughtful narratives. Today I have for you one of the most thoughtful shorts I have ever seen. This one blew me away folks, where at the end all I could do was slump back in my chair and think, "Damn." Here is the 8-minute Thai short Each Moment is the Universe from filmmaker Bruce Thierry Cheung.

Here's the synopsis:

A boy is reborn with memories of his previous lives and tries to fix the mistakes of the past.

I could go more into the film but I don't want to take away the sheer experience of watching this short for the first time. It's a thoughtful meditation on life, one that asks the questions: have I done enough and is doing enough frankly, enough? A road movie about how life can actually get in the way of well, life. I know I'm being cryptic and cyclical and there's really nothing to spoil here but I just want viewers to go in without any preconceptions so you can come up with your own conclusions of what the filmmakers here are trying to say. All I will say is that its beautiful, moving, lyrical and again, "Damn."

Check this out if you want to see something thoughtful and moving. Check this out if you want to be amazed about the hopeful journey of life, the encapsulation of a whole life down in 8-minutes. Enjoy this weeks dose of short film goodness with Each Moment is the Universe.


Each Moment is the Universe from bruce thierry on Vimeo.

No comments: